About IEEE Philadelphia Section
Welcome to the IEEE Philadelphia Section The Philadelphia Section (or Branch as it was then called) of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, or AIEE for short, was organized in 1903. As the electric power industry grew so did the AIEE. However, on May 13, 1912, another branch of the electrical profession, the radio engineers, formed the Institute of Radio Engineers (IRE), which grew so rapidly its membership soon surpassed that of the AIEE. As early as 1922, the AIEE and IRE discussed the possibility of merging, as the interests of the societies overlapped. No serious steps were taken until 1961. One year later, the membership of the organizations approved the merger, which officially took place on January 1, 1963, under the new name of The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. (IEEE).
Today the IEEE Philadelphia Section serves more than 4,000 members in the Delaware Valley including Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia counties in Pennsylvania and Burlington, Camden, and Gloucester counties in New Jersey. The Philadelphia Section holds regular meetings (third Tuesday except December, June, July, and August) and events, publishes a member newsletter, the Almanack, ten times per year; presents an annual awards banquet & gala, and offers a leadership scholarship through its student branch. The section currently has 22 chapters and four affinity groups. Many volunteer opportunities exist. For more information call 484.270.5136.
The mission of the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) is to conduct scientific, educational, and professional programs for the advancement of electrical and computer engineering, their related arts and sciences, and the stature of the professions they serve. IEEE sponsors numerous Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) activities and provides scholarships to engineering students.
IEEE is the world’s largest professional association advancing innovation and technical excellence for the benefit of humanity. IEEE and its members inspire a global community to innovate for a better tomorrow through its highly cited publications, conferences, technology standards, professional, and educational activities. IEEE is the trusted “Voice” for engineering, computing, and technology information around the globe. For information: www.ieee.org.
IEEE Member Discounts!
The benefits of IEEE membership include these offerings:
- More than 70,000 IEEE members use at least one of the benefits in the Member Discounts program.
- Member Discounts products and services are supported by contracts between IEEE and providers, vetted by the professional staff and volunteers.**
- Member Discounts help to support the personal and professional needs of IEEE members throughout their careers, and are portable when they change employers.
- Not all Member Discounts insurance plans and product discounts are available in every country; however, members can find many benefits available in a number of countries, with more being added each year. In fact, the insurance program now spans 84 countries!
- Member Discounts are promoted at no cost to any member and more than $5.3 million in annual non-dues revenue from these programs benefit members worldwide.
Discover what IEEE Member Discounts can offer you. The Member Discounts portfolio consists of insurance products and programs for the home, office and travel, all at excellent group rates and reduced pricing.
Visit IEEE Member Discounts to see what’s available in your location and enjoy the savings.